Thursday, October 2, 2008

Favorite Fall Recipe

I am going to switch gears in this post & talk about some real food love... Apple Carrot Cake! When Autumn arrives with the cool days & color explosion in our canyon, I start thinking about comfort food. & this is one of my favorite things to eat in the Harvest season. It is whole wheat, high fiber, & all that other healthy stuff. I actually serve this to my kids on their first birthdays Here's the recipe so you can fall in love with it too! Try it & tell me what you think...

Apple Carrot Wheat Cake (from Jeffrey L. Anderson)

1/3 c. Granulated Sugar
1/3 c. Brown Sugar
1/3 c. Canola Oil
2 Eggs
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/3 c. Buttermilk
1 c. Whole Wheat Pastry Flour (Bob's Red Mill)
3/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 c. Carrots - grated
1 c. Apples - grated
1/3 c. Nuts (Almonds, Pecans)
2/3 c. Oatmeal (not instant) or Granola
1/4 c. raisins

Preheat oven to 375 F. Mix sugars, oil, eggs, salt, cinnamon & buttermilk together until thoroughly blended. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into an 8x8" greased pan & bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serves 9.

No comments: